Learn the music:
If you are inquiring about ongoing marimba classes, please visit the Rattletree School of Marimba website.
To study online, visit our Online Music Lessons Page.
Joel Laviolette and Rattletree Marimba are honored to present traditional Zimbabwean mbira and marimba music to schools and learning institutions
within the US and abroad.
In Zimbabwe, music is an important aspect of everyday life. There is no seperation between performer and audience. Joel works to bring this holistic musical understanding to his workshops, and he prides himself on tailoring his instruction to any skill-level.
He has worked with students of all ages-from Kindergarten to Doctorate students and professional musicians.
- PASIC 2009
- Sam Houston State University Huntsville, TX (performance, workshop)
- Tarleton State University, Stephenville, TX (performance, workshop)
- Pacific Lutherine University, Tacoma, WA (performance)
- Texas State University, San Marcos TX (performance, workshop)
- Fort Lewis College, Durrango CO (performance, workshop)
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM (performance)
- Austin Community College, Austin, TX (performance)
- Texas A&M, College Station, TX (performance, workshop)
- Texas Christian University, Ft. Worth, TX (performance)
- Many, many grade schools
- Zimfest Workshops: '99, '01, '02, '03, '05, '09, '13
- Camp Tumbuka
- 15 years of private and group instruction
Two Popular Sample University Workshop Agendas:
Joel Laviolette solo Workshop:
- Solo workshops can be any combination of private or group lessons in mbira, Zimbabwean marimba, or Shona style guitar.
- Often, Joel will do a one hour presentation on the mbira music of Zimbabwe followed by a demonstration of the mbira melodies being put onto the marimba orchestra.
- That can be followed by a 1-2 hour hands-on marimba Master Class.
- That may be followed by an evening concert where the students get an opportunity to play the music they have learned in the workshop.
- This may be followed by a solo mbira performance by Joel.
Joel Laviolette Workshop and Rattletree Marimba Performance:
- All of the above applies, and in addition, Rattletree Marimba performs a full marimba set instead of a solo mbira performance by Joel.
We understand that every situation has unique needs. Let us know what you are looking for, and we'll be happy to coordinate with you. Above are examples of one-day workshops. Joel is available for multi-day clinics at a reduced rate.