[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
rattletree.com • View topic - Discussion

Discussion

Detailed look at the music...

Re: Discussion

Postby mrmbira on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Good to see things are starting to roll here. Thanks for the info on the wood to use. I think i will use the mahogany to start with (since i have a piece the right size) just to get the hang of how to build it, then get something softer like cedar for the next matepe.
What is the podcast you are talking about Joel? and how would i access it do i need special software or just browser?
i have the Andrew Tracy article but my old scanner isn't working with my new pc but it should work so i will figure it out. Let me know if no one else offers and I will look into it.
Can anyone help me with; what overtone is heard on each key (ie; 5th, octave, third, etc.?) on the matepes you all have? Andrew Tracy told me that 2 octaves above the fundamental was ideal but i think he said he had never come across a Matepe tuned like that except one he built. Do all the low keys seem to have the same overtone interval? Or does it seem random and unimportant? thanks for any thoughts. peace, Russ
mrmbira

Postby dezesticks on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm

I will send out a recording or vid in the next couple days, i have the left hand and right hand parts down and am just trying to get them together solidly. Having the video of you held to get my right hand playing it right. I was only playing r1-5 with the thumb and the rest with my finger, It was jumping around alot.
Aaron
dezesticks

Postby Joel on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Chawasariras matepe are tuned with overtones two octaves above the fundamental. I think that is the ideal. I have noticed that even if the fundamental isn't exactly right, that he would hear the overtone as the main note. The thin keys make the overtone a lot louder than a DzaVadzimu, so it becomes more important in the music-IE melodies from the overtones link with the high notes and create resultant melodies.

The podcasts are on the Mhumhi records homepage here:
http://www.mhumhirecords.org/

Only two done so far-too much to do and not enough time.

Noone else has stepped forward with that article, so if you get time to scan it and send it my way, I'd love to get a new song under my belt! Are there other songs as well? Heck, I'd live to read the whole thing.
With love and gratitude,
Joel Laviolette
Joel
Site Admin

Re: Matepe lessons thread

Postby Robert on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 am

Bibliography

gawest wrote:While I'm at it, I think it would be really valuable to compile a discography and bibliography on the matepe. Maybe everyone can chip in what they are aware of.

The recordings I know are (including your recordings):

Joel Laviolette - Ndiro YeMidzimu (Mhumhi records)
Chaka Chawasarira - Magore Kore (Mhumhi records)
Chaka Chawasarira - Matepe Mbira 2000 (MBIRA)
Various - Other Musics of Zimbabwe (Sharp Wood Records)

To continue with Glenn's bibliography idea, I'll try to fill in what has been mentioned so far, and add a few:
Bibliography

Print
Laviolette, Joel. "Mbira, Matepe, and Karimba: Various Mbira Types in Zimbabwe." (2008, October). Percussive Notes 46, no. 5, p. 43.

Tracey, Andrew. (1970). The Matepe Mbira music of Rhodesia. J. African Music Society, 4:4, p. 37-61. (link)

Charumuka, Tawanda. (2005). The prominence of the mbira dzavadzimu relative to that of the matepe mbira in the late 20th century.Thesis (M.A.)--Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. Includes bibliographical references (leaves 69-74). (links: 1, 2)

Some content also in:
Tracey, Hugh. (1969). The Mbira class of African Instruments in Rhodesia (1932). African Music Society Journal, 4:3, 78-95.

Tracey, Andrew (1974). The Family of the Mibra: the Evidence of the Tuning Plans. Zambezia, 3:2, p, 1-10. (link)

Music

Joel Laviolette - Ndiro YeMidzimu (Mhumhi records) Two tracks: #6 Muchenjedza Mutonga; #7 Kanotamba Mubani. (link)

Chaka Chawasarira - Magore Kore (Mhumhi records, 2001) (link)

Chaka Chawasarira - Matepe Mbira 2000 (MBIRA CD 3303) (link )

Other Musics from Zimbabwe, Southern Rhodesia, 1948, '49, '51, '57, '58, '63. SWP Records (Sharp Wood Records) CDSWP012/HT 06. (Tracks 23-27 are listed under "Sena Tonga", and I think only track 26, "Msengu", has matepe, credited as: "performed by Saini Ngafangandiwe, Chingaipa Madzikaminga, Zhogi Muzengedza; matepe dza mhondoro mbira"). (link), also listed under "Historical Recordings by Hugh Tracey" series at ILAM.

ILAM (International Library of African Music) - See the ILAM website, and full product list

According to Joel from the first page of this thread, there is matepe (at least two tracks of "Siti") in:
CDTR212 Sound of Africa Series by Hugh Tracey: Shona

These ILAM recordings may also have matepe:
CDTR085 Sound of Africa Series by Hugh Tracey: Sena/Tonga
CDTR091 Sound of Africa Series by Hugh Tracey: Sena/Nyungwe; Sena/Tonga

Also these ILAM recordings may have matepe: CDTR171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 067, 210, 211, 213, as well as the Music of Africa series (e.g. CDMOA026, 019, 028) have similar music (Shona, Zezuru, Karanga, Ndau, Manyika, etc.)

Zimbabwe: The Soul of Mbira - Traditions of the Shona People - Explorer Series: Africa. (Nonesuch) Originally released as "The Soul of Mbira: Traditions of the Shona People of Rhodesia" in 1973. (Only track 4, Kuyadya Hove Kune Mazove, has matepe; credits list: 26 Key Matepe - Gibson Utsvoma, Rattle [Hosho] - Garage Nyamudya, Vocals - Joseph Katvayire , Mrs. Fatsika) (link)

That's the Way of the World - Earth, Wind, & Fire. I don't know what tracks but credits (for example see here) include: "Additional personnel: Matepe Ensemble, Saini Murira." Also I don't know if more matepe is heard on the bonus tracks of the remastered reissue. Maurice White was known more for popularizing "kalimba", not matepe; I think I read somewhere that the matepe was just a taped field sample that was inserted into the mix, but I'm not sure.

Rovambira clip: This is a Japanese site for a musical group, but it does have a photo and a short audio clip of part of a song that it says is matepe (マテペ) : Scroll to the bottom of this page and click in the blue Japanese text in the table.

There's also that Kevin Volans track entitled "Matepe", I'll add more info later.

Video
Matepe dza Mhondoro: A Healing Party. (1978). Pennsylvania State University (Penn State 22729; 22729DVD), University Park, PA, Color VHS 20 min. (Musicians: Thomas Dzamwarira, matepe and vocals ; Saini Murira, matepe. Producer Gei Zantzinger, Director by Andrew Tracey, Camera Les Blank, Sound Gei Zantzinger, Narrator Rosemary Logie.) (Penn State Media Sales link)

Chaka Chawasarira video sample. (2003). University of Washington, University Libraries Digital Collection. Excerpts from three songs, the first is probably matepe, the second one definitely is (Muchenjedza Mutonga), and the third is not (sounds like nyunga-nyunga). Download and view here. There are two videos with the same title, but both are identical.

It's also possible there is matepe on here:
Dances of Southern Africa. (1973). Pennsylvania State University (Penn State 50482DVD). Produced, directed & photographed by Gei Zantzinger, Narration written and spoken by Hugh Tracy ; edited by Conley Benfield ; sound services, Jack Sky; ethnochoreologist Nadia Chilkovsky. Color VHS 55 min. Presents a general survey of the dances of southern Africa, including the stamping dances of the Nguni peoples, the Shona-Karanga, and the Ndau. Shows the dances seen in urban contexts and in the context of life in home countries. (Penn State Media Sales link)

YouTube Matepe Playlist (link) Here I'll try to maintain a playlist of all videos with matepe in it.

Rattletree forums (link) :D

ILAM (link)
Robert

Postby Joel on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for this. I started a sticky with Matepe References. Please feel free to add to that thread. I'll consolodate the info into the first thread and delete the later posts to keep it clean and current.
With love and gratitude,
Joel Laviolette
Joel
Site Admin

Postby Joel on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:20 pm

PS: you may notice I deleted a couple uncertain entries. On that thread, let's only include sure sources.
With love and gratitude,
Joel Laviolette
Joel
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Lessons and Discussion