[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
rattletree.com • View topic - Matepe notation for lessons

Matepe notation for lessons

Detailed look at the music...

Matepe notation for lessons

Postby Joel on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Everyone has their own special notation, and I'm no different. Here's how the matepe notation is labeled:
There will be a graph (coming soon).

So the Bass (B) is 1-9A. There is a 9 and a 9A because that 9A is an extra key that is not found on all matepe.

Then there is a Left (L) that is played with the left index finger

Then there is the Right (R). Keys 1-7 are played with the right thumb 8-12 are right index finger.

Matepe is held with the left pinky resting in the bottom hole and the matepe is at more of an angle (like a 45 degree angle) than the dza vadzimu.
Joel
Site Admin

Re: Matepe lessons thread

Postby Joel on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:00 am

TUning scheme:

THis is the Western Tuning reference point we'll use. The matepe is NOT tuned exactly to this scale, but it is pretty close so we can at least use this scale as a reference when discussing notes.

Original pic by N. Scott Robinson
With love and gratitude,
Joel Laviolette
Joel
Site Admin

Postby dezesticks on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:56 am

What note on the marimba scale would the low G be, baritone or Tenor.
Thank you for all the info. Hope to play some Matepe with you soon.
dezesticks

Postby Joel on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Aaron,
THanks for joining us! The low g is the g on the bari. My bands marimbas are tuned to the matepe and so go to that 'f#'.

I hope you check out and contribute to the musical instruments makers thread as well! I'm finishing up the tubes for a chromatic marimba today, so hopefully tonight I 'll have time to get the first lesson up.

Take care,
Joel
With love and gratitude,
Joel Laviolette
Joel
Site Admin

Postby dezesticks on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm

A quick question on octaves since I do not have an instrument to compare from. Are these notes the same or octaves, B5 and R3, L1 and R8 and is B9a and R1. How thick are the boards and how deep does the hole go. Also thank you for the correction on my Shona.
Thanks Aaron
dezesticks

Postby Joel on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Aaron,
Here's some measurements:

top to bottom: 9"
side to side:
across the top: 6 3/4"
across the bottom: 7 3/8"

bottom of the body (where the hollowed out part is):
from the center of the body top to bottom" 1 15/16"